Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Holy Cow!

Just came back from my much awaited India trip, had a whale of a time. Just read in Shekhar Kapur’s blog; “ Abuse is the order of day in India”!! He is the man when it comes to composed literature so as to speak of!

My experience; yeah he is right again. No, I am not getting into this NRI veil & trying to criticize everything about India. I am trying to analyze facts here. College Registrar still gives a hard time to students for getting their transcripts signed, bathrooms in trains are still not clean, there are still very few public restrooms in decent sized cities like Nagpur for ex., people still catch jaundice & malaria due to polluted water, so many people still believe in inequality & cast system, intercaste marriages are still a taboo, child labor seems to be getting worse, law & order is still unheard of, female infanticide is still prevalent, & the list goes on.

Yes, India is shining in some few cities & in the living rooms of the educated! How about the underprivileged though? Do they not have the right to a safe, healthy, happy life?

5 comments:

Lalit Patil said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lalit Patil said...

Good to see something up here after a long time :)

I think the facts are correct. I moved from Mumbai to Nagpur a long time back, and I felt that, at least at the school I went to, inequality was being bred and encouraged.

Although, at least one of the facts surprises me. At my time, at least in my experience and from those that I have heard, the college registrar signed the transcripts without any problem. The other thing I heard is that there is a system in place to get transcripts from Nagpur University. Probably, you talk of VNIT and not VRCE!

I have seen different systems in place to get transcripts. IITB used to charge heavily (and I think it still does) to get transcripts a certain time after graduation. I felt that it made sense.

Overall, yes! The problems that you state exist. We will never be able to eradicate them (in any country). But, the fundamental question that I would like to get answer for is "Is there any improvement?" Do you think there is improvement toward the right direction, even if it is very slow and very minute! India shining is useless if the society, as a whole, is not improving slowly, but surely.

And now to nitpicking (after all, why respond saying whatever you say is correct :))
I can understand jaundice as a result of polluted water, but usually malaria is not due to polluted water. On the contrary, it seems that malaria causing mosquitoes do not breed in heavily polluted water!

Anonymous said...

Ma`am as I`ve been your junior in VRCE(as you would like to remember it)I cannot negate your observation.But India had been analyzed and scrutinized by many scholars, what adds to the dismay of indian people is no one had the courage to take a baby step towards any reform.
Achievments, in better word Luxuries earned by hard work cannot be just given away for the welfare of some people who couldnt have the privilege of breathing fresh air,using clean public "Restrooms" and forget it who cares if they even know what USA stands for.
Me being your junior havent known the world better or this world hasnot yet cast any spell on me.. I will go back...

Pinky Raghav said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You know what? People like you have no right to criticize India. You just want a life of luxury that US provides. So, it's very easy for you to sit and blame others!
Are you doing anything for India? Did you donate even once to help the poor here. Did you vote even once when in India? It's a shame that you still have the guts to crticize your land!!!