Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mother's diary I

Ever since I had Subir; my almost 5 month old boy, I have been at home. I wanted to spend time & look after him but at the same time had a million questions popping in my mind. Will I be able to stay home 24/7? will I not get frustrated since I have never really stayed home idly for so long? It has turned out alright since last 3 months of my stay after my maternity leave ended. I am really happy that my Subir got to stay home with his Aai when he needed me the most. I am glad I can have a 4 course meal ready on the dinner table before sanjay gets home. I am happy I am spending some quality time with my family for the first time without having to worry about deadlines & working on the weekends.
However, I have also started realising how much it takes to be a full time mom or a house wife (home maker is the word of the day). I see girls boasting of how they take care of homes & work & what all they have to go through all the time. Yes it is diffcult to work, & look after family. What is more difficult is to leave everything for your kids; your identity, paycheck, ambitions. Sometimes kids might take us for granted & forget what all these homemakers have done for them. But hey, parents are forgiving & they love kids unconditionally.
My Advisor's wife from Grad School had a Phd from Stanford University in Robotics & she quit everything after they had kids. I thought she was silly & how I could/would/should never do anything like that back in the "ambitious days". Today I have realised how wrong I was & how me staying home is the best gift I could have ever given to my little boy.

1 comment:

Gaurav said...

I like the honesty in this piece.
With most of folks in our generation having home maker moms, its going to be a interesting as we have increasing number of urban working moms going ahead..