Sunday, August 05, 2007

My Folks

Ever since we are born, do we not start differentiating between who’s ours & who’s not? As a kid, we know who is family & who is not. Then our world broadens, we go to School & College. After a while, we know who are “our” friends, family friends etc. To me, this differentiation is not bad; infact it lets me know the circumference of my loyalty circle. That’s another thing, you are either loyal to your people or you are not. There are no two ways about it; there’s nothing that can be taught about loyalty. Over the period of time, however I have realized that these folks; my folks, don’t have a face! Yeah they are faceless, but come with utter soul. As I grew older, I noticed my folks don’t have a skin color or nationality or religion either! At the end of the day, all I remember is that I care for my people & they care for me. We have had lunches together, stuck through tough times & are ready to challenge the tougher! We don’t come from any kind of powerhouses, but this whole idea of us standing together is our biggest strength. We laugh on the same jokes, like or hate the same movies & food. My point is not to sound like some pseudo secularist, but to actually realize how we get attached to people just because our frequencies match or we think alike. Life can be this simple if we want to keep it this way. Why is everybody fighting over religion, color of skin & geographical boundaries then?

Disclaimer: An ammendment to my previous thought, it's GOOD if we like anybody, importantly, it's OK if we don't like anybody and vice versa!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is another way to look at this. Say you start at a very clear blank world, where there are no religion, color or any other differences. Then, people will form groups such as your "my folks" Over time, the "my folks" will form some kind of a religion - if you look at it, religion incorporates a set of ideas and views about something. Perhaps, at an old time, color was used as the way to differentiate my folks from your folks.

So, having some differences and prejudices is not a problem at all - those will be automatically created, because we cling to people who are similar to us in some form or another.

The problems develop when and because our folks are unable to tolerate the other folks to such an extent that we start believing that they are in some sense inferior.

Vaidehi Dongre said...

i agree with u, on almost every thing u said. i shud have added it in my post that u shud just move if u don't like someone. u don't have to like everybody & vice versa.

Lalit Patil said...

"u don't have to like everybody & vice versa" I think people who realize this (and other replacements to like, such as "making happy") do very well and become more content.

Unknown said...

Very logical and good approach to understand the maze of life!

Alistair D'souza said...

we have all thought about religions, social backgrounds and those virtual boundaries that we create, haven't we :-)

and when we think about it at a later point in time we look at it differently.... and then we know that when we look at it in the future we will look at it in a diff light...

Cosmic Joy said...

Your views on world conflicts are very interesting. I appreciate how you have taken a complex issue and brought it down to a simple every-day level for comparison.

I feel that the reason for all conflicts in our world are caused because of people's intolerance to others views and beliefs. Such people are easily influenced towards hatred and violence, especially when politicians or other people in power want to take undue advantage of the situation.

Unknown said...

The word which you have taken "frequency" is the correct one......
Most of the times when we are thinking together or we are on the same lines or have been going through the same situations...we gel together and can empathize easily and thats what make people gel together.

However many a times situation also plays when frequency doesnt....say in office two people are working together and on the same assignment and with very critical issues both are working day and night...here after staying together and working on the same thing makes them gel together.