Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Analyze this & that II

Last time I visited Parul, she told me that I think too much & feel too hard or criticize things too much at times. I admit, things like doctors making mistakes, political opinions, secularism, people not turning up on time et al are my all time favorites. I am publicly apologizing if I would have ever hurt anybody unintentionally. I think people are who they are for a reason, for the circumstances they are exposed to in life.
However, I have a question, what is wrong with feeling hard about people; situations; just life in general? Why should Indians not turn on time that they promise? What is wrong with having strong opinions (as long as you are not judging people)? What is wrong for eg. with seriously liking Gandhian philosophy or not liking anti-secularist notions? Again, I know it takes all of a kind to make this world. So you need the jumpy-jovial kind, you need the care a damn kind, you need the humanitarian kind, then friends; what is wrong with being my kind? Somewhere down the heart I have always believed that people who have strong opinions are most of the times the ones who have the capacity to bring about a change in the norms of the society. How can you possibly grow intellectually or bring about changes without having opinions or thinking or believing hard in something? What is wrong with having opinions, when it's OK for so many others to not have any? Why should everybody like you? Or again, am I just thinking too much? How else would you like the jumpy/jovial breed unless y’all were not introduced to my kinda log heads!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All of us have strong opinions. Those who say that they don't have a strong opinion about something (e.g., Indians not turning on time) have a strong opinion on understanding such *nonsense*!

Having a strong opinion is not wrong, but there is another view.

Usually strong opinions become religions! Just as an example, suppose you are an extremely anti-religious; Sooner or later, you would start criticizing people who have other views, and probably rejecting them from your life and saying that they have no place in this world. Then, has Atheism/Anti-religion become your religion?

So, having strong opinions is never wrong. Probably, what is wrong is failing to understand if they are relevant to the situation that you are facing. Is coming late for a friendly leisurely chat, just as severe as coming late to work?

Don't apply your opinion out of context; probably, your friend meant this! I am giving him/her the benefit of the doubt!)

Vaidehi Dongre said...

you are right & u r right abt my friend too, what u said is exactly what she meant. & that's when i said, having opinions & not being judgemental part of the story.

Gaurav said...

It's not at all wrong to have an opnion on things happening around you ! Infact if people don't have an opinion there's a potential problem. As for expressing them, well as long as you do it in a judicious manner no one should be complaining.
You may not like a person's opinion but you must definitely respect his/her right to hold that opinion.