Monday, March 05, 2007

Incorrectly Practical

Where I grew up, all I was taught consciously or sub-consciously was to become a practical person on some front or other all the time. More so on the career front & just life in general. Then we go to school, learn like 18 years of math & science & become far more dry (engineer like?) or practical. Again, I cannot generalize it but I represent my mind here & that’s quite what I am like. Everything has to be practical, calculated & correct. Only a couple of years ago, I started thinking just the other way; OK, so now I am on the safer side of life (atleast that’s what I like to think), a little settled, a lot independent & mature, why not take a few decisions on impulse now? Why not just follow pure passions? Only then I realized that life was all about fighting between the mind’s impulses & practicality of the real life. Later, the mind trotted into areas like responsibilities; financial & social, commitments, insecurities et. al. How could I blow up everything for some impulse trance? Does it mean, if I follow my instincts, I would give up the control over my life? Ironically is it not that when we give in to passions, we breathe freely? Certainly giving in to passions does not mean being irresponsible. Is it why when we see those eccentric painters, sculptors, scientists we think they look like psychos? On the other hand, they are one of those few blessed individuals who give in to their passions, don’t care for what people think is right or how they look, they don’t let the world control them, but they have a complete control of their world. Yes they don’t have a normal family life or social life, but then they have to achieve so much more in one life & they know mundane things will be taken care of by nature.
And so what if I don’t have passions as defined as these people have, I can always make a few impulsive decisions like buying a Mustang over a Civic, or taking a job which pays $10K lesser. The more I think I about it, the more I feel that not everything has to be right from worldly standpoint. If this post makes any sense at all, it’s OK to slip onto instincts every once in a while!

4 comments:

Alistair D'souza said...

I don't think engineers are dry... its the industry that makes them dry... engineering is all about creativity but thats something we rarely do or get a chance to do... but then again who is stopping us from not creating :-)

about giving into passions I've mentioned some stuff on it here..
http://alistairdsouza.blogspot.com/2007/02/ask-dust.html

I once read this somewhere... "There are times when your heart tells you something and your head tells you something else. But before you decide you have to realize if you have a better head or a better heart".

Goli said...

I think you should do what you feel like...I would say that impulsive and analytical are opposite things. And in a way sometimes impulsive things may be practical things to do and analytical things may not be practical or vice versa.

Vaidehi Dongre said...

Goli, its a tug of war between following passions & being practical, but i will find a happy medium for sure!

Sumeet said...

Even if you do not find a happy medium I am sure you sure will find a "rational" way of following your passions ;-)

It is fun to give in to passions at times, just for the heck of it!that way if things dont work out the way you expected, next time you will have a reason to be practical ...right?