Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Dark Cloud

A 7 year old widow, who never got to know her husband or even his full name or age for that matter, she is not aware of what it means to be a widow other than having to shave her head & wear white clothes. Somebody for whom life’s clock stopped at 7, who will have to live a sacrificing life because that’s what fate had in store for her. She didn’t cry when her husband died, because she knew deep down somewhere that’s what she has to do for the rest of her life now. From now it won’t be like she didn’t have a husband in her fate, but rather she won’t be having a fate at all!
It’s not some bad dream I had, but the gist of Deepa Mehta’s movie “Water”. For those who haven’t watched it yet, I won’t kill the fun by giving out the end; it is after all the most positive detail of the movie. This movie brought me down, made me feel how ungrateful I have been all my life for the independence, education, freedom, equality & above all love I have been taking for granted. How I always thought it was my right to have all this & even much more! It is the irony of our society where we still have such innocent gals living life as if they die with their husbands & in the blessed lanes of some bright lit suburbs, girls celebrate women’s day by forwarding messages, sending cards, cutting cakes, buying gifts for their sisters & moms ending the day by watching Ekta Kapoor’s soaps. Can this possibly ever change?

10 comments:

Goli said...

True.... I guess you would like reading this post .

Unknown said...

wowwwwwwww just bewildered by ur wors good writin love to read it

Vaidehi Dongre said...

i know my heart went out to the gal in the movie. its plain sad.

Anonymous said...

Ok,
Now you definitely need to see the Nagesh Kuknoor'd DOR.
Notying to take away from Deepa Mehata. She indeed has done a great job.
I just feel that the way Nagesh has treated this topic is ....(Lajawab)

Vaidehi Dongre said...

i have watched dor madhura, it nwas indeed a very nice movie

Sumeet said...

:( I don't watch movies any more ....hindi movies dekhe kitna time ho gaya :((
There is another Deepa Mehta movie playing these days right - koi to tabu wali ...woh bhi dekh lee tumne?

Vaidehi Dongre said...

its, "namesake", its a mira nair movie not a deepa mehta mpvie, n i haven't watched it yet, but want to :)

Alistair D'souza said...

It always the same... someone wants to feel that they are part of society by following norms and they make/force others to follow it too... we should just let everyone live the way they want to live... make them realise what clicks for them and do what they want so long as they don't harm anyone...

anyways I'm in nagpur currently... attempted my third chocolate cake... this time is came out just right.... the softness is just like when my mom makes it... even my dad told me that its just like the way mom makes it.... :-)

Gaurav said...

The fortunate girls shouldn't feel guilty sending cards or cutting cakes.
What's sad is that a lot of the fortunate people are unaware of what's happening outside their 'zone' or just don't want to accept that such things happen even today ! One might not always be in a position to do something direct about it, but atleast be sensitive and grateful.

Read about a tragic event where a girl committed suicide as her parents couldn't buy her school books.

We don't have to go too far, just think of hardships our parents' generation faced and we'd realize how lucky we have been.

Anonymous said...

Well said.